This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

DaBossTMR

Maximum Game FOV?

There has been some controversy (mainly in my update video) about what the standard FOV for gaming should be. I think that 60 - 90 is good enough. Increasing it above 90 will create unpleasant distortion on certain circumstances.

What should the default FOV range be in your opinion?

• Like 1

i always use something between 50/70, mostly 70, farcry 3 looks awesome and also has a really small FOV. but if you want to go for more ''realism'' you should probably use something like 90.

Please login or register to see this quote.

probably way more, but the focus point is somewhere around that

Please login or register to see this quote.

Its 120 from the two eyes combined, but as mentioned the focal point is less.

For developer it doesn't matter if you limit at 90, or 110. I saw that many players prefer to play games with crazy FOV (beyond 90), so if you allow player to choose which FOV he likes, i dont see reason why to limit at 90.

It depends, because there are 3 types of FOV, horizontal, vertical and diagonal. These all vary quite massively. You can do a comparison in 3ds max because it lets you pick which type of FOV.

I'll add some screenshots in a second

this is the point im trying to make: Please login or register to see this link.

the top 3 images all have a FOV of 60, but all of the three types. Notice that although the actual number of the FOV is the same, the image output is NOT the same.

I know Unity uses Vertical FOV, this is more for when people compare the FOV of a unity game to a different game that may use a different axis

I would say use any field of view by allowing the users to choose. Set default to 75

• Like 1

I use 75 mostly, but sometimes 95 just to see more around me. You get use to it after an hour or so.

I think anything past 100 is a bit weird. I play all games with an FOV option on 70-80.