This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

geckoo

RakNet vs Photon

Hi folks! I have a question about mpKit which our friend TheMars2011 shared yesterday. In fact, this source code is really amazing. I like this method... To use Photon we must install some files in our project, but with RakNet all seems to me embedded in Unity. It's the first choice of Unity team? About efficient, RakNet is better or not than Photon? My heart is torn between the two of them :)

Thank you for your answer ++

I think the main thing about Photon is that they host your server for you.

With RakNet you need to host a server yourself, with the excuteable. With Photon, Cloud version anyways Photon uses their servers to host your game(s). Photon also has a version where you can host your own server with an excutable. Anyways, I would go with RakNet. It recently just got aquired by Oculus and was made open source.

It depends on your game. If you want game with AI, much things happening at the same time (many messages sent) RakNet is better. If you make a simple fps like Oma, Photon (Cloud) is better.

They both have upsides and downsides, I 100% avoid Photon as it limits you to using the photon servers, I mainly use TNet for almost anything (not multiplyer with more than 50 players though).  As for TheMars2011's comment, it really makes do difference, If you are using AI you should have it optimized to use barely any messages at all, This comes down to what kinda game it is, how many players will be in the game, and what computer/server you will be using to host the server, if you are looking at servers hosted locally on a machine, TNet handles that perfect, if you want a game with an online host for learning purposes, Photon will be good, amount of players comes down to how robust you make your server file (I know that TNet allows you to code your own outside of unity in C++ or C# as a standalone which you can then upload to a server to be ran 24/7) but it all comes down to your programming knowledge and what you need to have in your game, some packages have better support for some things and others for other things :)
Main reason that I like TNet is it's RFCs which photon didn't have.

Please login or register to see this quote. The RakNet version bundled with Unity is quite old tho, in relation to that last statement.

All these arguments have been very interesting. My favorite is RakNet. It seems to me more efficient - I think ++

• Like 1

Please login or register to see this quote.

RakNet is good to use in LAN connections, but if its online it will be a pain in ass, but photon hosts your servers online and you cant play photon if you dont have connection with internet and this means that you cant play in LAN, soo fuck photn and raknet unity is building new Networking System UNET :)

I just like simplicity. I use photon first because I can set it up in 5-10 mins. But I I see any lag issues then ill look for better alternatives.