This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Draulon

How to develop a game.

Now I have been seeing a LOT of new games in threads recently, and honestly most of these games

disappear or stop development within several weeks or months.
As project lead of a pretty big team right now, I would like to share my experience with those who are

willing to listen, what hardships I had and what routes I found efficient.

First of all, think about these:
How much money do I have to spend on developing this game?
How much time do I have to develop this game?
Do I have enough experience to start this project?

Next, you need a game idea.
Now this can be multiple things.
A. An Idea of yours.
B. A game which would have the most interest (learned from market research)
C. The Brainstorm game.

What do these cover?
A: An idea yours literally means an idea for a game which popped out of your own head,

and feel the necessity to make it. Usually you don't care about public response on this,

you just want to create it and that's that. This however only work if you work solo or
hire developers.

B: You look on forum threads and survey responses and general games statistic on what is the type of game that people like to play the most,
and out of these, which is the genre which actually has a good chance of getting popular.
For example, games like DayZ, Rust, Minecraft, Terraria and Starbound. It makes its players feel free and be able to do things without a lot of limitations

which they usually can't do in real life.
These games however usually require a team of experts, as it might get pretty big.

C: Usually a type of game which has a core idea, then with the help of other team members and

the community, it branches out to become a bigger and bigger game.
Mostly this doesn't always receive a lot of popularity unless it also fits into the B category, the teams

which work on this are usually friends who want to try out and develop something for fun.

After you got the idea of the game you want to create, you move on to the next step: assembling a team.
Now honestly, if you have good friends in the game development industry or in real life who are at home in game dev,
team up with them instead of randoms from the internet.
Its always a better idea, not only trust-wise, but also you can keep an eye on them so they would work.
However, if you do plan on teaming up with people from the internet, especially if you want to hire people, don't do it
before you take several steps first:

Step 1.

Write a Game Design Document.
Now this is the core of your game. This is what makes it function.
It is basically all of the mechanics, ideas and blueprints compiled into one big

document.
Now when writing this, there are probably multiple places where they can explain better than me, however I will link
several examples:
Please login or register to see this link.

Step 2.

Write an Art Design Document.
This could also be viewed as a subsection of the GDD, however it covers

the graphics side of the game.
What shaders are used? What textures? Particle systems, character styles and everything else

related to the artists who work on the game.
Yet again I will link out examples:

Step 3.
Create a Team Workflow.
What is the priority order of things when developing?
You can do one in detail for each branch, so that there would be no work wasted
and so that there would be efficient developing in your team.
Examples:

Once you got these done, as project lead you need to focus on team management more
than actual developing (of course unless you are actually in a smaller team, or a team of friends).
Keep on eye on your team members, if there is an argument or a rivalry going on between two or more members,
act on it at once before it gets nasty later on.
Hold weekly meetings where you discuss progress and future plans,
Always have a plan B and a plan C if things go wrong, and target Alpha version as your first stop.

When you reach Alpha phase (which means a playable demo mainly for testing purposes), you can
target either crowdfunding, or a pay-2-play form if you want to receive money from the game.
If you are doing a kickstarter/indiegogo campaign and when you talk to the community, make sure

you or the person from your team who is responsible for public relations has perfect english, or

you will be subject to either not being taken serious or public disappointment.

From here on you will probably have enough experience to either take your project to success, or

have your next project go smooth.

Hope you found this helpful, if you have anything you suggest to people starting out on developing games then be sure to leave
a comment!

• Like 3

Rule 1 of making a game.... NO INVISIBLE WALLS! If I wanna jump of a bridge to the my death, I expect to jump of a bridge to my death!

Thats not a good idea Calum but anyway...

Nice Guide Leo, you will probably need to enrich it though as it is too short to cover everything. Try to format it with colors a bit and it will be awesome!

Please login or register to see this quote.

I know, this is just a general tip on which way to go when you start developing.

Frankly there are a lot of people here who know what they are doing, but

since their projects are unorganized, they switch games on a weekly/monthly basis.

Please login or register to see this quote.

And why are invisible walls a good idea? Just lazy developers use them

Draulon do you think it's better to sync the project files with other members or have one main project where it isn't synced?

That depends. Usually hosting a project folder on dropbox or any other storage syncing software can result in corruption of the project folder since both parties save their own version of the files and they start conflicting - ultimately resulting in a corrupted folder.
I suggest using a repo such as BitBucket or look into the Asset Server team plan which unity provides.

Maybe get everything conceptwise done before you start moving towards assembling a team?

Usually unless you are an expert game designer, its better to have your community or other teammates give input on the overall concept of the game.
More brains more content.