This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

YoungDeveloper

Which Networking platform to choose

There are not that many candidates when question comes to choosing which unity networking platform to choose. There are only couple serious candidates, and me to it looks like smartfox and photon are the only serious choices.

I took a look at smartfox page and to me it seems that smartfox is used by a lot more professional an multimillion corporations.

Please login or register to see this link.

Also there are a lot of more commercial games which use smartfox then photon.

But still not sure what programming language can be used for smartfox, c# ?

When it comes to photon, Please login or register to see this link. not sure what to think, a lot of developers have been using photon, but i have seen many finished examples, if you know such page, please post it.

I'd like to hear developers opinions on this, and by developers i mean persons who actually understand something, who have read information or interesting articles. Not the ones who have watched a tutorial on youtube and feel like they know everything. I really don't want anyone to mess the air with false information.

Edit:

I have personally only used photon cloud and have to say that it is easy to setup at first.

Although for you, since you are a good programmer, I heard that server is pretty good and there are 100 ccu for free.

Here's another interesting topic: Please login or register to see this link.

I am totally lost for now, i've read countless posts, some say smartfox, some photon, some say that other.

I have worked with photon and its the best one i have encountered but from recent research of other ways of multiplayer integration i have encountered SmartFoxServer and it does not use C# programming but java and is used for small games and not large scale games like FPS OR Open World Games

Edited by jj007red

Not sure what language it uses, but smartfox is fine for large scale games. Remix Games use it and they have no problems with it. Everything ran smoothly when we were playing. 

Please login or register to see this quote.

There are dozens of mmorpg games published and posted on smartfox page, i don't see how those are not large scale games.

And i see that there's c# api, so c# can be used in smartfox, or is it just support (most likely)

At beginning (3+ years ago), Smartfox was intended for MMORPG and for FPS all suggested Photon,

but now we have a lot more solutions and possible newest could be even better.

I believe you can use all 3 languages with any network solution.

well it MIGHT be suitable for the game you are working on but large scale games as in something that DabossTMR or themars2011 is working on which in multiplayer mode might hold some 32 players at any given time inclusive of AI and many other aspects of the game which are to be compressed and sent over the server .........please correct me if im wrong 

There is no doubt that smartfox will be suitable for a game of 32. Its even larger sizes than that that may be a concern. I've heard that photon is the way to go for really large scale MMO's, but thats just what I read. Could be wrong. 

I'm gonna give the Photon API a tackle and implement it into my current project. I'll tell you how it goes.

i know what kind of game you are working on i tested it remember :P

...........smartfox might just work for you still

FPS with less than 32 players is way different that an MMO with over 100 players. No need to watch their video

• Like 1

If you listened they only use smartfox for the authentication when logging in and use unity networking for game 

Tried electro server, even asked questions on their forum, but to me it looks like forum and support is a bit sluggish and dead. Smartfox overall atmosphere is way more active and supportive.

Last days had been learning smartfox and how server side exactly works, and i must say i am very impressed. Server side custom extensions is very powerful and you can code really anything you want for server to do, only thing main supportive language is java (which is not a problem if you are a programmer), even smartfox guys said they will slowly drop all other supported languages, like python action script, etc, leaving only java.

So yeah, i though i'd give an update on my searchings.

When developing a multiplayer game it is necessary to consider what kind of server approach to adopt aswell what platform to develop on and build the system. There are two common networking approaches; Authoritative Server and Non-Authoritative server.

In a nutshell, authoritative server runs all game logic, the client makes no changes on the server instead it send information such as input to the server that continuously updates the clients game state. This method is very effective as it prevents high level cheating

The example of this is seen in game Shadowgun: DeadZone developed by Madfinger Games

Shadowgun DeadZone is third person online multiplayer shooter. The multiplayer structure been developed using a network engine known as uLink provided by MuchDifferent

uLink’s is a powerful network solution that was used in Shadowgames. It has all network components such as State Synchronisation and Remote Procedure calls and allows to utilise game logic from the game engine. Because uLink infrastructure is integrated with the game engine it allows the server to know about scene geometry and physics directly making it a good choice for authoritative server since lot of aspects of the client and server interaction can be controlled and any inputs checked

On the other hand a non- authoritative server does not control the outcome of every user input and therefore knows very little of the game logic instead it exists and acts like a proxy between all connected clients. The advantage of having such system is that it requires less CPU, memory and bandwidth resources than an authoritative server therefore making a good choice for mobile device games.

The example of this is seen in game Eternity Warriors II developed by Glue

Photon Realtime utilises Photon Cloud that provides framework for developing multiplayer games. Photon Cloud is a very powerful networking solution with optimised socket communication and built in reliable and non-reliable protocol built on top of UDP. It uses room based approach and is non- authoritative server since it is not aware of game geometry, physics and collision systems and everything is done on client side.

I hope this helps to clarify some things. decide first what you going to use server first before you look at servers this will help your research..

Just a side note the 2 example networking solutions mentioned has one thing in-common they both are substantially easy to be integrated within any game ;)

Edited by Spread

There's really nothing much to think about, only option for most mmo type of games is using authoritative approach, due to security reasons. And that is exactly how i am building it