This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
Draulon

Slicing up terrain into equal resolution ones.

Question

Hey!

So I have bit of an issue here. I am working on about a 20000 x 20000 terrain, and the heightmap resolution is 2049 (which of course causes the brushes to be huge in contrast to detail models). What i want to do is "slice" up the terrain into smaller parts, but the goal is that those smaller terrains would keep their resolution of 2049. I already tried a Terrain Slicing asset, but it sliced the terrain up into 513 heightmap res terrains, which didnt really make the brushes small enough for detailing the terrain. I really need help in this.

(Any other solutions then slicing is accepted too)

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

Idk really what can i do with that but try to play around a bit with the texture size: when you click Textures>AddTextures>Then select you textures and under the actual textures you should see some options to scale and tile the texture.

I hope this helps :)

Thats not the issue, you see the terrain itsself is 20km x 20km, and the resolution is 2049, so the brushes appear HUGE on the map.

The problem is i already have a done terrain, I need to slice it into smaller pieces with those smaller pieces keeping the heightmap resolution.

Quadtrees is your answer, my friend.

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by willywill

I think that is an optimization technique willy, let me explain my situation cause i think i wrote it bad.

1. I have a 20000 x 20000 size terrain.

2. The heightmap resolution is 2049.

3. The brushes are huge on the map since the heightmap resolution is too small for the terrains size.

4. I need something which will cut the terrain up into about 10 smaller terrains, which will keep a 2049 heightmap resolution.

5. If this works, the brushes will be smaller.