This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Hallker

Beginner's Game Topic - Would appreciate feedback

Hello guys, my name is Jan (John or Jack in English) and I am from Czech Republic.

When I was a kid I wished to make my own PC game which would be successful and would have friendly community.

As I grown up I realized that this is no easy task and  I there is no easy way to throw ideas on screen and create a game.

Few months ago when I saw few indie projects I remembered this dream of mine and I started thinking...

Now i joined this community and decided that I have to do something... I have to start working on this project, this is my life dream and I wanna make it happen. I have a lot of ideas which could be really good and I think they are pretty original.

I have this game in my head, it's multiplayer hardcore survival sci-fi game, I did a lot of research and brainstorming in order to come up with few ideas and stories to support this game's gameplay and atmosphere.

I am alone at this time because I can't find people that have the same dream and like my ideas enough to follow me :)

I am just beginner, almost no experiences with this kind of work but I wanna learn, I wanna achieve something. I wanna to live my dreams... Could you help me with this please?

Few questions you could help me with:

- Can't really decide what view I should choose, What is easier to do First Person or Third Person / Isometric (like Diablo has)? Or it's same?

- What should I begin with? Character stuff (controls, needs, inventory? Multiplayer stuff (server-client side communication, database)?

-Would you recommend me some tutorials for these things (In C#)?? Like how to make Multiplayer for example or how to create fully working character from Movements -> through HUD -> to Animations and Models?

I am aware that I need to learn a lot of stuff, dedicate to this a lot and spend a lot of time with this to make at least some progress. I need to learn coding, modeling, animating, maybe even sounds.

I am sorry if this got a bit long or messy, my English is terrible and I know that already :)

1. i personally like fps better and i think it is easier but it could just be my opinion  

2. U should begin on the prototype first which is the functionality of the game, then after everything works, you can switch the models into higher quality and start improving the graphics of the game. 

3. It would be helpful to watch the tut only if you are actually listening and learning the code but not just copy pasting. 

If you have just started unity, it would even be better just to learn the interface and learn how everything works before moving on to such a big project. It might be a good idea even to start a small project first. But it all depends on you. Good luck sir ;)

• Like 1

It depends on what type of shooter fits your game the most, but FPS is known to create a lot of immersion. I would start with a movement system and shooting system before you move onto anything else. I personally learned C# from a guy named BurgZergArcade and he made a hack and slash tutorials which I would use as a learner project. Probably not the best way to learn C# but it did help me learn a LOT. There are also JavaScript tutorials like ETeeski who created the FPS.1 series. So you can check him out if you're planning on going towards JS. However, if you learn C# (more complicated) you will be able to learn JS as well very quickly, which may benefit in the future. With enough determination, you may get really far into game development. Good luck.

Please login or register to see this quote.

I think as same as you,FPS is better,you should start wokring on the prototype to learn how to code and so,there are some really good tut out there in youtube i suggest you: RemixGames,SuperroBlox,SpeedTotur,Brackleys,MRxTeaBag,TornadoTwin,UnityKnowHow,EtteskiTutorials,JesseEtlerz0,misterninjaboy,TechzoneTV,BlueGurardianGamez and so.....

• Like 1

Thank you guys. Ok... I create some basic documentary and road map to follow and will start to create a prototype. I won't focus on high quality textures or animations but will try to make it work as smooth as possible.

I'll will try to make this in First Person view... my biggest concern is Environment... I have few interesting ideas but I can't really imagine how it would work with Open World Multiplayer FPS Survival game...

I really love DayZ mod or Don't Starve and I would love to make games in same genre but I wanna try to avoid any copying or similarities and I hope that  I came up with ideas that will help me in this way.

EDIT: I would love to share with you this ideas but I am bit afraid that somebody will take it from me...