This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
taichiu727

hit.characterController not working

Question

I want to to use hit.characterControler but it gives me this error 

MissingFieldException: UnityEngine.RaycastHit.characterController
Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.PropertyDispatcherFactory.FindExtension (IEnumerable`1 candidates)
Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.PropertyDispatcherFactory.Create (SetOrGet gos)
Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.PropertyDispatcherFactory.CreateGetter ()
Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.DoCreatePropGetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Type type, System.String name)
Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.CreatePropGetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String name)
Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices+<GetProperty>c__AnonStorey17.<>m__C ()
Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherCache.Get (Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherKey key, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Type[] cacheKeyTypes, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Object[] args, System.String cacheKeyName, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetProperty (System.Object target, System.String name)
UnityScript.Lang.UnityRuntimeServices.GetProperty (System.Object target, System.String name)

28 answers to this question

A character controller is more than just a collider. That's why it's doesn't work. When a raycast hits a player, it's not hitting the character controller, it's hitting the controllers collider

I think you forgot the opening bracket after if (hit.rigidbody), and closing after send message.

It's actually much simpler than you are trying to do, just add a tag on Player "Player".

Please login or register to see this code.

To add on to YoungDeveloper, if you truly have to know if a character controller exists, you can get the component:

if(hit.gameObject.GetComponent(CharacterController))

{

print("hit a controller");

}

thx for helping but the problem is that somehow hit.collider doesn't seem to work for character controller, btw have to go sleep now i will check this tmr

Edited by taichiu727

Don't listen to them then, they are definitely wrong. hit.collider should return a character controller if it hits one, so I don't know what you're doing with the raycast but hit.collider should count character controller as a collider.

yeahi i know but i just don't know why it didn't work, i guess i would need to play around with it. and test more.. 

Stupid question, but how do you know you should be hitting the character controller, when I started with raycasts I had a lot of problems with it not working, only too realise that the ray was going backwards! Make sure it works with other things, and also there is a way too draw the ray in the editor window (I think it's Physics.DrawRay) or something similar

i don't know why but just doesn't work with character controller...!!! is there an alternate way? or how to get it work??

As stated a few times, character controllers are not just a collider. All a character controllers collider is a capsule collider which detects the same as any other collider.

Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this link.

They all state the same thing as we're saying

Just make sure your casting properly and either checking the hit objects tag or checking if the object has a character controller by getting the component and checking if it is not null

Debug the hit object's name: Debug.Log("Hit: " + hit.transform.name);

Then you would give the character controller a crazy name and see if it gets debugged. Also, you can do Debug.DrawLine(transform.position, hit.point, Color.red);

Can you please post the script one more time? (The current one)