This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
OneManArmy

Photon

Question

Hi, I'm trying to understand how exactly Photon shares info between lobby and rooms.
Can someone explain how to get info (something like string, or int) from room into lobby?

33 answers to this question

As i understand we need to set room properties like this:

Please login or register to see this code. and inside room:

Please login or register to see this code. and i even understand how to get this string back into lobby.

But what if i change this string inside room, for example if i wanna get back ping of room (player)?

Question is how to update this customProperties["MyString"] in room.

hm.. so you are trying to get info so  it can display the number of players and etc? 

Also you adding multiplayer?

Edited by taichiu727

Please login or register to see this quote. Currently I'm just experimenting with Photon. I'm not sure what to use for my own mp game (for now i'm thinking to use photon).

Please login or register to see this quote.

Why do you want to show the ping of every room? They are not hosted on the player's device, its hosted on Photon's servers (so the ping should be the same, or it isnt?)

XD The photon server doesnt move with you! So if its hosted in EU and your playing from US ping isnt the same as in EU

There are more servers, that has nothing to do regarding what I said. I'll let my players to choose region, and then the room.

Edited by martin999b

That would be a stupid move (except if he wants to play with a friend from US). :d Well, you can still show a global ping of the server, not the rooms itself. (if you let them to choose region first)

Edited by martin999b

yes why would you choose a us room then, cuz photon doesnt support user mods like in cod (with four delta one)

Please login or register to see this quote. yes it's waste of time if we talk about cloud, but what if i setup self hosted server?

I think then you will host everyone's room in your server. Still a "global ping" would work better imo. (in that case if my first sentence is true, I only use cloud)

Edited by martin999b

If its not on a dedicated server then the ping should show up on every room. Which means the server is hosted by the player.

I think you dont understand what Photon cloud is. The Rooms (not servers) are hosted on a main server, that means players can create rooms but not their own servers. btw, cs portable looks like it doesnt use photon 

Please login or register to see this quote. I know what Photon cloud is.

My question was about CS Portable - if developer used Photon (and cloud?)?

Why you think that he didn't use Photon? You have any info about it?

Look in the server browser which says HOST and photon doesnt let users or dedicated servers (made by players like cod or dayz or bf) host

If you want the users to host their own servers, your wrong with photon. Photon lets users create rooms and these are hosted in the photon cloud or in your own photon server (made by game devs)