This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
jmaster2012

How to randomly generate moons

Question

Hey, I am working on a space exploration game, kind of like civ 5. I want to have each different settlement be a moon, and some have animals and stuff.... BUT ANYWAYS! Is there a way to randomly generate my "moons"? I want space in between them, but not a lot. Thanks!

6 answers to this question

You could make lots of different prefabs (for all the moons) and spawn them randomly I guess, that would give you the most control over what the moons are like

yeah, but I want them to be a bit close... I guess. But I haven't done randomly generating planets before, how would I do that?

That's a lot more complicated. But since planets are round, use the default primitive sphere, then randomly select a texture from an array and assign it to the material's main texture.

for placement, just spawn at a random position form the current planet position.

var planetPrefabs : GameObject[];

var minSquarePlacement;

var maxSquarePlacement : int;

var maxPlanets : int;

var planetNum : int;

function Start()

{

yield WaitForSeconds(1);

if(planetNum < maxPlanets)

{

var nextPlanet = Instantiate(planetPrefabs[Random.Range(0, planetPrefabs.length - 1)], Vector3(Random.Range(minSquarePlacement, maxSquarePlacement), Random.Range(minSquarePlacement, maxSquarePlacement), Random.Range(minSquarePlacement, maxSquarePlacement)), Quaternion.identity);

nextPlanet.GetComponent("scriptName").planetNum += 1;

}

}

If your actually randomly generating its shape then you'll have to generate the its shape after its instantiated. I don't currently have a code for that right now

Please login or register to see this quote.

Thanks, but I want to instantiate a lot... and I was thinking that maybe some would have animals or something...