This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Mark Benitez

FPC Move, Sprint, and Stamina system

Here is a simple charecter movement script with sprint and stamina, take note it is setup so you can have stamina potions and add difficulty to the game

if you want to know how to set up this script check out the video at the bottom of this post

Please login or register to see this code.

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by NightmareGames

Two problems i found:

1.Update cannot be a coroutine (WaitForSeconds)

2.You will loose stamina if you're not even walking.

To tell you the truth, the script comments aren't really helpful...

Here's what I mean:

Please login or register to see this code.

And why would you need a "stamina" potion in order to run again?

Please login or register to see this quote. That's for the game in the tutorial series and how can they be anymore help full?

And there should not be any problems as it works perfect for, @themars2011 you can sprint until your stamina runs out

Please login or register to see this quote.

Nono, i mean, you'll loose stamina if youre even not walking or running

Please login or register to see this quote. Oh only if your holding down shift right? I'll have to see how to fix that, but do the comments help?

I know, I forgot to not have sideways and backwards sprint but thanks later today I will update the script

I don't think you can sprint backwards otherwise you will trip and fall (not recommended when in a fight). Sideways is a little hard but possible, chose not to add it in my game anyway.

But still, in games you don't see people sprinting backwards that often.

Subtracting stamina just by input and stamina greater than 0 wont fix it. Then it would decrease the stamina when shift was held even if you are not moving. Instead decrease stamina if your velocity is greater than walk speed. That would make it a little more practical.

I don't think you get it mars, if you hold those inputs and you have an object in the way, say a wall or car, it will subtract even though you are not moving. It's more practical to subtract based on velocity than input because it means you are actually traveling somewhere for the energy to be subtracted instead of not moving and losing energy just because you have your fingers on the keys. Even cod uses this method by by saying if inputs are held and velocity is greater than the 0.5 or 1, then subtract. IE, use velocity because it is more practical.

I make sure the velocity of the controller is higher than the sprint speed and check if it's grounded also.

Me too my new ones beast lol I didn't even read the script so I didn't notice that was no checking is grounded. Looks like the guy that made that tut is missing quite a bit. And using redundant methods like stamina += 1 * Time.deltaTime. 1 should either be placed in a variable for easy manipulation or removed stamina += Time.deltaTime is the exact same thing

yes i know but i dont need it because in my game there is no jumping and right now everything so far looks ok and dosent look like ill need to rewrite

Hello, I really have no experience speaking English but try to modify the Script to work on my CharacterControls I do not know if it works for you :)

Please login or register to see this quote. Please login or register to see this code.

Edited by Sebastianmite