This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
Sup3rHax0r

Which Computer?

Question

Okay, first off just want to say that I love this forum! Now, onto buisness.

Screen Size 17.3 inches Max Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels Processor 2.4 GHz Core i7-3630QM RAM 16 GB DDR3 Hard Drive 1536 GB* Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M* Card Description NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M Graphics Graphics Card Ram Size 2* Wireless Type 802.11 a/b/g/n Number of USB 2.0 Ports 2 Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2
Please login or register to see this link.
Brand Name Samsung Series Series 7 Gamer Item model number NP700G7C-S02US Hardware Platform PC Operating System Windows 8 Item Weight 8.4 pounds* Item Dimensions L x W x H 16.10 x 11.20 x 1.29 inches Color Black Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 4 Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

/\ Samsung /\       $1613*

\/ MSI \/      $1800*

Screen Size 17.3 inches Max Screen Resolution 1920X1080 pixels Processor 2.3 GHz Core i7-3630QM RAM 16 GB DDR3 Hard Drive 750 GB SATA* Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX675MX* Graphics Card Ram Size 4000 MB* Wireless Type 802.11bgn Number of USB 2.0 Ports 2 Number of USB 3.0 Ports 3
Brand Name MSI Computer Corp. Series GT70 0ND Item model number GT70 0ND-492US;9S7-17212-492 Hardware Platform PC Operating System Windows 8 Item Weight 14.5 pounds* Item Dimensions L x W x H 16.85 x 11.34 x 2.17 inches Color Black Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 4 Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Flash Memory Size 128* Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM Optical Drive Type BD Combo* Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required.

The areas marked wirh an asterisk are the differences that are of importance. if yu could take your time to look over these specs to see what would be best for: content creation in blender, and testing the game in unity. i appreciate it. thanks in advance.

12 answers to this question

These are shitty ass totally overpriced laptops, you pay that amount only for its visuals and those extra led lights located under keyboard. You could build almost twice as powerful computer for 1200$ with best parts possible, including amazing monitor. And I'm sure your not buying it for "developing", but for playing video games, so why the heck are you buying laptop instead of personal computer.

Yup, what he said. I hate alienware anyways and I prefer custom or gamer laptops. Also, organize the list to be easier to read. It looks like a pile of shit pressed together. :P

If you are developing like me, then you would want to have a laptop since I travel a lot and setting up a PC will waste a lot of time.

If you are just gaming, and stay at home, then you would want a PC because it is more powerful and cheaper.

Alien-ware is to show off how much money you have too, so don't be that person who says "Oh, I bought a computer that is $1800 when I could got something better for $1000!"

You can get a even cheaper PC if you build it on your own. It is completely flexible and you can modify it to your liking. The only downside is that if you don't know much about computers, then it is a waste of time and money (unless if you can get a person to build your PC for free).

Please login or register to see this quote. Laptops aren't the best choice for developing. They just aren't made for that purpose, of course you can script and work in unity and do a thing or two, but when it comes to high poly modeling, mudbox or zbrush, multi layer photoshop files, It's just terrible.

That is not entirely true.. Sorry for nagging DaBossTMR :b, but my laptop easily runs all of those apps without lag. Multilayers in photoshop, up to 250k in blender and all that kind of stuff. And my laptop is mid-end (4gb ram, amd e2 @1,8ghz, HD6380g).

But ofcourse, if i could choose, i would buy a custom made pc with all the high end stuff.

But I still hate it when I go somewhere for vacation then I wouldn't be able to develop games. I could bring my PC but it would be too bulky and takes a lot of time to unpack it andpack it. I am sure there are laptops with 8 GB or more so in sure that it could run blender or 3ds max. The graphics card can be powerful enough to run Crysis 2 on 60FPS but it is pretty expensive around $900. So as I said, laptops are meant for travelling

Alienware are overpriced *Excuse my french* Shite, For serious development you want a power rig. You cant beat a good desktop, yes you dont get the portability but you get the ability to hot swap and improve parts, where with that shite you'd have to send it back and get the part fitted which would cost you your house + labor costs.

In the bang for buck yeah the laptop might do you good, however they always seem to get sluggish faster than desktops because there slimited to the motherboard.

For longevity you would be better off with a custom built desktop because you can keep the old girl alive and practically have the system your whole life just with new internals. I've had my case for about 8 years now just changed the internals.

Yep, I will wait until the future, because technology will get smaller. If a desktop PC gets light and small enough, I would probably prefer that then.

Please login or register to see this quote.

Look at you kevin being a nice little post whore. :d

KEVIN WHERE YOU BEEN ITS CALLED A TABLET!

Pssh, tablets are just oversized iPhones lol I think unity should make a mobile device but it might fall through my pocket from not detecting collision