This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

geckoo

Unity 2019.1

Hello friends. Just a few words so as to share with you a recent experience. Working on my project Please login or register to see this link. , I updated my Unity version to 2019.1 expecting some minor changes - as usual, it's always a little bit disturbing to update Unity for a newer version because sometimes old projects are broken or don't work correctly anymore. A little bit anxious I launched STR!PES on my new Unity version (I used Unity 2018.2 before) - and I noticed more or less 70 errors. I erased all previous log files, keeping only Assets folder with scripts, sounds, shaders, etc. After a project reconfiguration, all works fine as expected, but...
Previously my project was good - oscillating between 25/45 batches. Now it stays constant - exactly 17 batches during all process and main execution is really really more smooth. With naked eye I notice a real improvement. I tried searching some explaination, willing to understand what it means, but I don't understand all features which have been added in newer Unity version. Now I am checking my previous projects (abaddon, theorem and more) so as to evaluate them under Unity 2019. I am very surprised by the result - better than I expected. Have you noticed too some improvement with your own projects? Have a nice day (like me today) ++

Perhaps the performance has to do with Unity's Burst Compiler that takes C# and compiles it directly to Assembly. What freaks me out about this is that they remove the garbage collector, a tool to avoid memory leaks. You should check out their Burst Inspector to find out performance enhancements.

I'm sticking with the LTS version until they finally manage to get rendering pipelines and other core stuff out of "preview".