This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
geckoo

Side lenght by radius

Question

Hello. I wonder how I can "translate" in C# a function which gives the lenght of side for a regular polygon, inscribed in a circle, giving only its radius.

On the web I founded this explaination, but I cannot understand the proper way for using it in Unity. I tried for a hexagon something like float lenght = (2 * radius) * Mathf.Sin(180 / 6); but it doesn't work. I missed something. Have you an idea?

Please login or register to see this link.

r is the radius and n the number of sides :

side = 2r sin (180/n)

4 answers to this question

Hi,

it is maybe because you are calculating the function in radians. But the function must be calculated with angles

Do you get what I mean :)

Please login or register to see this quote.

I read : sin  is the sine function calculated in degrees

What is it your actually trying to do? If your just trying to get the length of a side after it’s created it’s just (p1 - p0).magnitude instead of all that fancy stuff

i.e. Length = distance between any 2 neighboring vertices

edit: with your function tho, also make sure your multiplying a float as well. 2 * radius is int * float which returns an int vs 2.0 * radius is float * float which returns a float vs radius * 2 is float * int which returns a float. Your float casting is for the whole equation, things inside it must be cast as well. I don’t know if that fixes the equation or if unity is auto converting 2 to 2.0 but it may help

I am trying to simplify what you said. On this page (which I linked) there is a function.

I was trying to put this code in my script, but even thought I tried many ways, it doesn't work.

However I fixed my problem using another way. Forget it - but thank you for your answer :)