This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
geckoo

sort an array

Recently, playing with enemies in my latest LD entry, I noticed that when I use an array in runtime, there is no order. As an example, using FindGameObjectsWithTag, obviously there is no logic, sorting all corresponding objects. However often we have to avoid some conflict between those objects. Another difficult issue is the fact that the player moves and its enemies too (the first now maybe will be the last soon). In my latest projects, the nearest enemy had to approach the player, then the second, the third, etc - and finaly the farthest. This way no one comes across its previous comrade in the line. So I find a way to sort an array, using a list and according a simple or complex function. In this code, I show you the method, but of course, you can improve it regarding your goal. A good stuff - a little tip ++

Please login or register to see this code.

FindObjectsWithTag goes through all the objects in the scene, and returns an object if the tag is matching. So the order is the scene's hierarchy basically, not the distance of an object. Or at least, thats what I think lol

It could be interesting to do a test :)

Writing my explanation, it were no really clear. I did some minor changes explaining code ++