This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Digitex

Models Rendering - Shaders

Question

Hi,

Being new to Unity development world, I'm trying to figure out more details about how shaders work.

I'll give a concrete example of what I don't understand. This is a picture of a car inside a game and the shader used to render textures:

s1.PNG.f606d1bd0d80e1e67e2047ee4e8dadd9.PNG

s2.PNG.16c15e20bbfc46a1d73d70f7989b6e5d.PNG

let's say for example I've got a new nice looking Quad made inside 3Ds Max or any 3D Modeling software:

s3.PNG.32b211c4c0e512fe7e57ed86a653a631.PNG

First of all, when I drag this beautiful Quad to the game, with standard shader, it looks weird and not the same as in the 3D Modeling Software:

s4.PNG.e116eb95f7b75d9ffbcaac010dd13ccb.PNG

When I change the shader to 'PlayerShader' [The same as the original violet model], I get this ugly result too :

s5.PNG.a036694e8cf45761f885cc209af8943c.PNG

So, I  have basically the following questions:

1- All those behaviors are due to shaders? why don't we get the same rendering result as in the 3D Software?

2- What should I do if I want to make the new Model looks as stunning and nice as the original violet model?

Thanks in advance for reading this,

Regards,

4 answers to this question

Yes, that's a product of shaders. The reason is that 3ds max standard shader is not the same as unitys standard shader, you have manipulate the values to make it look similar. Your biggest issue is reflectivity. So crank that down and you'll see a noticeable difference. Another thing is ambient lighting is set lower in unity than your modeling application, so you'll want to adjust that as well.

your model is going to look different in just about every application. 3ds max is going to look different than blender and blender is gonna look different than 3d arch and so on because everyone of them are using different shader models and default values.

thanks for your answer,

However, when you use the 'PlayerShader' as shader, your 3D model is no more impacted with ambient lighting inside the scene.. and as you can see in the last screenshot it's an ugly rendering.

What I really want to achieve is to be able to have a good looking 3D Model using the 'PlayerShader' shader instead of unity standard one (as it's the case for the violet car).

By the way, when you use the standard unity shader on the violet car, it looks like a burned car:

s6.PNG.4f3060be9978030743b3e96db355e2ad.PNG

and it looks burned too inside the 3ds Max:

s7.PNG.319f7508c78b2ba4636dbf340d3df2b4.PNG

Regards,

Edited by Digitex
adding more info

The great thing about PBR rendering is that it is reliable, it looks pretty much the same in any program. PBR stands for Physically Based Rendering, this is the standard shader in unity (and in almost every game engine). You are using a color texture (albedo/diffuse) to determine the basic look of an object. You also use different black and white textures to tell the material how reflective it should be, and also where the reflections should appear. In a 3D modeling environment (in your case 3ds max) the shading is really basic (probably just a simple Unlit, or a Blinn-Phong shader) as it's main purpose is: allow the modeler to see everything clearly.

So in short, if you want to make your models look good try playing with the standard shader in unity. Download a skybox from the asset store and check out the differences it will make. Also don't forget the standard shader can be used on literally any object as long as you are aiming for a somewhat realistic look.

Edited by UnityGamesRoland

^^

and FYI, if your shader is removing ambient lighting, your texture needs, well, better textures. Ambient lighting shows geometry, so if your not using it, you need a texture that works with the geometry. In your 3ds max screenshot, you can clearly see ambience, or atleast some form of lighting, in your unity your using "playershader" that's removing it and making it look flat