This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
geckoo

42nd LudumDare

Please login or register to see this link.

LudumDare (or commonly known LD) means in Classical Latin "to give a game". At first, I would like to say simply that LudumDare is a large community which shares the same passion for games development and fun. All those guys come from Europe, USA, Africa, Russia, Mideast, etc.

Three time a year, there is a special event which gathers many developers around the world for fun. So we wait impatiently the 42nd LudumDare session. I'm in - as usual since 5 years. I would like to explain briefly what is LudumDare - maybe it could stimulate your curiosity and encourage your active participation. This time it starts saturday (for me at midnight exactly) three hours earlier than usual - this is a new rule. A theme will be displayed on the main ldjam page - we have to develop something according the theme : a game, a board game, a concept, a visual experience or something else. You are totally free to do what you want. During the previous week all members proposed different themes. I saw many interesting ideas, exploiting colors, space, freaky story, physics and (of course) also I saw many weirdness like "potatoes as energy resource", "hamster answer", "send nudes", etc. Developing their project, each participant chooses among two categories - compo (starting from scratch, 48 hours to do the work - and source code available) or jam (72 hours - assets or previous works allowed). After those days, the community votes according different ratings categories (overall, fun, innovation, theme, graphics, audio, humor, mood). During three weeks you can evaluate projects which others have done, rating them, reading evaluations which have been writen by others about your own project, fixing some bugs which have been quoted, etc. At end, the 100 best projects by category appear in a list - a sort of hall of fame. Are considered "winners" only the 100 developers who are listed in the overall list. Many of these projects become a full game on Steam like Circa Infinity, Dark Echo, Please don't touch anything, Broforce, Velocibox, etc. Well...

If you want to participate this time, please share a link here, just to show what you are doing. I will take a look at your final project. I will evaluate it gladly.

Saturday morning, I will post the theme here for the 42nd LudumDare. Join us - if you dare :)

Running Out Of Space :)

Participating again. But I'm not prepared, as I forgot all about it :P

But I'll be using Unreal Engine 4 this time. May or may not get the game ready in time, but something playable atleast.

Unreal Engine 4 is still new to me, but hopefully learn while making the game :)

Whoa! I wouldn't change my engine creating an entry for Ludum Dare.
I wonder if it works for you. Show me your entry. I wish you the best ++

Here's a little peak of what I've done today.

• Like 1

Mine is here :

Please login or register to see this link.

I will take a look at yours ++

I'll check it out when I get home :) I have some problems building my game to HTML5, so I have to figure that out too :)

Damn, Unreal Engine 4 is confusing sometimes :P Packages fine for Windows, but not HTML5.

When I packaged it for Windows, no errors. But when I packaged it for HTML5, a bunch of errors appeared :P

It was just a bunch of code errors that told me that it couldn't do what I wanted to do in the code. So it turns out I forgot to include some files for the classes I use.

What is confusing is that it compiled fine for Windows.

Anyways, I post my game here when I get it up. Then I'll check yours out after I've done that :)

Alright, finally got the HTML5 version up to itch.io. Uploading to itch.io ain't as easy as Unity. Requires a bit of extra work :P

Link to my game: Please login or register to see this link.

I'll check yours out now :)

Hello. I played your game today and I like it. The main gameplay seems really basic at first, but the mood and the way you fit with the theme is great. Sounds add to the mood - and you did a great work creating truck, boxes, shelves and more. Mechanics are smooth and all works fine as expected. Maybe you could just add more size for boxes so as to increase difficulty. Also have you ever thought about a scoreboard online for your game? It's just amazing what you did in less than 3 days. Bravo. I don't know anything about UnrealEngine, but you encourage me to take a look at its powerful features. I would like to rate now your game on LD, but I cannot because it's the end of submissions and I guess that the server is totally busy. I cannot display your page. I will write the same review tomorrow. Thank you for your entry (my best score : 7850 but I plan to play again and again to do a better score) ++

Thanks :) I did have plans for a 3x1, and 2x2 sized boxes, but never got to making them :)
I did think about adding an online scoreboard aswell, but I didn't feel I had the time to try it out because of trying out a new engine :)
But definitely something I'll look into in the next game.

Nice score, it gets quite a bit fast after a few extractions :-D