This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

bgs2k

Should i use scriptable objects?

Question

Hello, recently i found out more about scriptable objects beside their existence. So i was thinking if i should integrate this into my project. My project is a multiplayer sandbox fps game with multiple game modes. For now item contain data and functions and player use a specific functions from there at a input signal. My idea is to transfer all the functions inside the player, and use this functions with the given data that comes in a form of scriptable object(or even a monoBehaviour script) from the item. I did my homework and search on google for opinions and advices, and i saw many that use this, but i want to stick with armedunity community's advices, my journey to gamedev start here after all. My project become big and i don't want to make a change that i'm not sure about. So finally, which way should i go, should i stick with current system or should i change with this new way, which would be the benefits and the downsights of each (it's using less memory?, optimization?, ... )? Thank you 

2 answers to this question

Using scriptable objects for storing data is really effective. If you don't want to worry about messing up your current project, you can always create a new project or just a new scene to try out a few things first to see if it fits your needs.