This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

geckoo

Unity as a full dev tool

Hello my dear fellows. Have you ever seen any application which has been developed under Unity, but it's not a game? I am often surprised by all opportunities that offers this engine and I think that it can do more than games. I am convinced that it could be possible to create some useful applications (not only games). For those who remember MSVC v6, sometimes Unity and its new UI reminds me the old Visual Basic interface - something easy to learn which was at this time really useful so as to create quickly an application. So I repeat my question - Have you ever seen an application developed under Unity, but not a game. Thank you ++

I think it's used a lot for architecture visualization. And Unity keep trying to make an impact on the movie industry (especially noticable with cinemachine and timeline and the ADAM short films).

I also know someone who used it for some user interfaces when allocating jobs to members of staff in the business they worked for. Because it's cross platform it was easy to put it on pcs as well as create apps for mobile phones which everyone could use.

Once upon a time some engineers needed me to solve a problem. I just needed to make an app which gerenerated a load of data to input into some machines. I needed to do it quickly so used Unity. So there are Unity apps on about 30 of their pcs now :).

• Like 1

Company I built it for still uses it to this day, just a lot newer version of it. I've built dozens of software for companies over the years using unity (only members with premium access can click on that link btw)

Unity is actually used by police to simulate scenarios. 

Its also used to simulate young girls to track down child molesters.

And ive seen its also used for ai research to test and visualize algos  

Please login or register to see this quote.

Interesting comments. Thank you friends.

Have you more information about this use? I would like to know more. Thank you ++

I think he means this:

Please login or register to see this link.

And another one ... Unity have done some traffic simulation stuff:

Please login or register to see this link.

have searched for it but havent found it :/ but in a dokumentation series called "Darknet" i found one scenario where they use it to simulate crimes and mesure the brain activity of criminals. 

also i have found this: 

but they use unreal or sth. not unity ... but sth. simular does exist with unity as well. 

and also ive watched a dukumentation on youtube where they used unity for taktical planning stuff (cant find it :() 

(The Doku Series "Darknet" can be found on netflix its from 2016 and is in general pertty interesting... on episode 3 (11:00) u can spot unity beeing used to run the animation in the backround. Also Sweetie from the youtube video i linked above gets mentioned later on in this episode) 

I will try to find the dokumentation where unity was used for tactial planning :)

These projects show us clearly that Unity could expand its influence to become a full dev tool even in enterprise. I have nothing against games, but I would like to create some applications using Unity. I am just afraid that my choice could seem ambigous - not efficient (worst - ridiculous). Thank you for your help and advices ++

Personal I believe that Unity UI is not really capable of creating good software.

Even clicking a button feels weird at times, as if there is some sort of latency or frame restriction across the interface.

I recommend you to take an Electron approach, it's an html, css, javascript tool that lets you create feature rich software. It's what Discord uses.

@Solay

Thank you for your comment. However I don't understand what it means "even clicking a button feels weird at times, as if there is some sort of latency (...)"

I have never noticed something like that - the bug that you describe here. I guess that all is question about code optimization.

I have often used UI in game (with 50 buttons and all worked fine). Have you a concrete example? Thank you ++

Create an empty scene with a button, and an event. Then create an HTML document with a button and an event.

You'll notice the difference straight away. Surely i'm not going insane.

I've noticed it more in my current project, which is a UI for a mobile phone, as part of a game i'm making.

Please login or register to see this attachment.