This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

V3ndetta

Using minecraft like character model in my game?

Question

Hello Armedunity community, I am working on a project that I'd like to make some pocket money out of, at least. However, given my little time and moderate skill in 3D modeling, I decided to stick to a low poly style. I am ready to animate the intro cutscenes and program the enemies, however, I am worried that Mojang might have problems with the way my charaters look. I've tried to message them but they did not answer yet. This is how a character looks. Does anyone have any answers regarding this problem? I am confused. Thank you in advance.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

7 answers to this question

Blocky character models were used in games way before minecraft was released. I don't see problem here.

But in this crazy world you can't be sure on 100%, because everyone tries to copyright everything possible.

You can infringe on the likeliness of a model, but as for such a low detailed model, it's almost like claiming rights to the shape of a box which would just be ridiculous. I don't believe anyone has any kind of legal rights to the likeliness of those kind of characters tho so I think your good there.

the only worry you should have in your mind is the reaction from players themselves. Those kind of characters have been beaten like a dead horse over the years so you might get the occasional troll. But ofcourse there gonna hate anything that doesn't take 6 months per model.

but no, I as well think your good to roll with it. If you want tho, and you don't want to use blockheads, but instead you want to use fatheads, let me know. I'm in the process of making 57 character models, but Im sure I can let you use a couple or just make you new one from my base mesh bc I knew characters can be hard to come by

Whose belong primitive objects' copyright? This is an interesting question. On Steam you can see many projects - more or less interesting - which use the same aesthetic.

I assume that no one asked Mojang so as to know if they can use blocks in game. Be sure that you are free, but if I can recommand you something - change animation in order to avoid any problem.

I wish you the best developing your project ++

Please login or register to see this quote.

Thank you for all the answers. As for critique, I do not really care, since I am doing this from the ground up. As for the models, sure, if you don't mind that I might not use them for now since I am trying to do everything from the ground up. :)