This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Erarnitox

when to use "Mesh.CombineMeshes" ?

Question

(dont know if this is the right section, its (kinda offtopic and) more like a dicussion) 

Hey guys i have a question about when to use Please login or register to see this link. .CombineMeshes. 

(Please login or register to see this link. )

I do know how, what it does and also why one should use it...

but i would assume, that you get better performance when you leave bigger objects seperated, cause of unitys culling systems. 

If the geometry is one mesh unity is forced to render it....

So i questioned myself: When should i use "Mesh.CombineMeshes" then?

Obviously it is used for optimization... i just cant decide when it would actually help? 

From what im guessing:

- it is useful for small objects and other objects that would be visable at the same time (for example one room interior combined into one mesh) 

- not so useful for terrain stuff and other (bigger) things that would have a negative influence to the culling 

Am i right with my assumption here? Anyone got experience with this? What kind of performance buff can i expect? Any other related thoughts to this? 

please let me know :) 

Thanks for your help

1 answer to this question

You ask a great question - in situations like these, your best bet is to use the Profiler. Determine the performance aspect of using the CombineMeshes function according to the Profiler readings as well as compare and contrast which method is most friendly in your situation (combining meshes vs. not combining meshes).

My perspective? Don't worry about it unless you're experiencing performance loss that is notable.

• Like 1