This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

morten2808

Problem with getting started.

So now i have been trying for over 3 months on getting started in Unity again.

It`s like i really want to start on Unity and code a game but i can`t really get started.

Most of it is because i don`t even know what to make and the other things is the fact that i can`t make models, sounds, fx, map design or anything that needs to be made for a game + i don`t have any money to just buy everything for a game.

So what i wanted to ask all of you in here is what do you guys do when you want to get started but you just can`t ?

Thanks in advance

Starting from scratch does seem intimidating, maybe you can join a team and tell them your strengths. That way you don't have to make models, sounds, fx, and map design and you'll possibly be a little more motivated. I would also say, forcing yourself into making something might not be enjoyable

• Like 1

Again I would like to encourage you to take a look at the main tutorials page which have been created by Unity Team. There is many projects for beginners and some simple models. I assume that you could learn the most important here using some basic scripts for an efficient gameplay. Even though you are an absolute beginner (or not), I guess that you will appreciate their little games - Roll-A-Ball or Space Shooter. Many kids think that they can devellop a One Million Dollars Game in a few days and without any understanding. It's a trap... Don't give up and be sure that soon you will be a good dev - I wish you the best ++

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 1

You could look up free tutorials on the Unity website. I know geckoo already mentioned those, but I hope you'll consider those a good starting point. After that, you could look up some really good tutorials on Please login or register to see this link.  .

I'm currently enjoying a really good course (Please login or register to see this link. ) that takes you through the implementation of fundamental game mechanics such as collecting pickups and jumping.

It also provides you with plenty of practice making art assets for the project in the free 3D modeling software known as Blender(you're also given the art assets for free in case you don't want to make art and only want to focus on game programming). Udemy also has courses on more advanced topic such as networking, artificial intelligence and pathfinding in Unity 5, and specific projects like RPGs and First Person shooter. I must sound like a commercial now, but believe me, Udemy's a great place to take your game development to the next level. 

You get as much out of it as you put into it.

Here are some links to check out 

2D games:

Please login or register to see this link.  — (It was from this course that learned how to publish on the Google Play store) check out Please login or register to see this link. . It's not my proudest work, but publishing made me feel like I finally had something to show for the time I've spent fiddling with Unity, like I've finally made it past a threshold.

3D games:

Programming Focused Tutorials:

It takes time and practice to finally get to where you want to be, but if you power through, you're sure to make it.

God bless/Good luck. Whichever you prefer, and don't give up!!!

• Like 1

The question has been posted the 5th January. Taking a look at his user account, I noticed that he visited our forum the 6th. Since this day - nothing.

Strange behavior. He asked us, but our answers don't interest him. Well well... I guess that the problem could be more important that it seems :/

Dear fellows - don't waste your time ++

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Please login or register to see this quote.

Hey sorry mate didn`t mean it to come across like that :( 

I am really greatful for all the help you guys have giving me!

It was and still is an important problem but i just haven`t had the time to check up.

Sorry if i made it seem like i didn`t care.

Edited by morten2808

Ok. I am happy to see that finally you took into consideration our advices.

I wish you the best developing, your first project. Don't give up. Show us progress soon ++

Pictures, link, store?

Please login or register to see this quote.

That`s my game :)