This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

gomnosano

Godot

What are your thoughts? Do you think that switching from Unity to Godot is a good idea? The engine seems really nice but I really dislike having to learn another engine.

Hi,
* how long do you use unity engine?
* why you want switch to Godot? unity is missing some features?

Please login or register to see this quote.

I've been using Unity for about 4+ years but I feel like I still don't know the engine that well. I'm also having some trouble with the camera effects in Unity and the performance.

I have never tried Godot but from what i have seen Godot is not as featured as Unity yet and there doesnt seem to be a huge performance difference for simple scenes.

Yes optimization is a problem but thats a problem in any game engine and unity gives you some neat tools to help you debug(optimize your project.

Whats really cool about Godot is that its open source, so you can modify engine components. (In unity you could use a .net decompiler to write your own version of those but can be kind of messy)

If your are looking for a more powerful and by default "better looking" engine i would suggest you to check out the cryengine 5. Its open source and once you understand it it is actually pretty easy to use.

Cons for cryengine is that you woud have to learn c++ its very different to unity in terms of content management etc. and the community is rather small so less tutorials etc. 

If you just think about godot i would say unity wins the race any day (except for the licening) 

I actually think that Godot beats unity in 2d game development because it has dedicated 2d and 3d engine 

What it means? Unity allows to create 2d and 3d games. Can you explain your point of view?

I took a look at the main page of the Godot engine and it seems to me really powerful. It could be an interesting alternative ++