This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

BTEK

Best way to approach for funding parties with your project.

Question

Hey ladies and gentleman,

Me and my team recently changed engine we're using for the game, from Unity to Unreal Engine. The reason was the quality we wanted for the game was harder to archive in the unity than in unreal. Back at unity I had programmed most of the things, 70% of the game was ready, models were being designed and animated. Writers have had created a strong, solid story with some plot twist from here to there. But now in unreal engine, we started level design and programming from 0. But progressing fast.

But with the team growth(22 people now) and hard work, I've seen that people are not being as motivated as when the first month they started. Since we all work for free I can not push them work more than they can. 

I've been lead developer and project manager in some projects in my work (not games. usually software, apps, websites), during that time I've come up with many ideas to keep people motivated, but they was also being paid so I could push them more if they was lacking behind. But now I cant, so I am looking for investor(s) to support us for the development of the game. We're planning to release a demo of the game in mid September, so I could approach to investors and make a crowdfunding post.

But I am not finding a way how to approach to investors, what type of presentation should I make, a PDF? should I contact individuals or companies? 

Since the first level is being designed, there's not much game play I could show to them (for now, but will be ready by mid September).

Here are some of the models that are designed by my Lead Modeler. Wish I would share more of the story and game play, but those are being kept in private till the first demo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please login or register to see this attachment.

PS: if this is the wrong place to post this thread, please transfer it

3 answers to this question

Ok so this first part is offtopic a bit. I know that feeling when you are trying so hard to gauge the interested of your team. I'm in that same situation. I'm currently trying to keep my small 6 man team motivated, but no matter what tactic I try it doesn't work. And coming from a point in game development where I'd have a larger team and work on impossible projects, to a smaller team and working on realistic projects, I thought things would be different. I suppose this is one of the outcomes of having a solid idea. There's no more discussions, no more big ideas, no more big dreams, etc. So I am also looking for ways to get the motivated, and keep their interests high. Monetary compensation isn't possible for my project, so that's out of the question.

Sweet, now onto the beef of the matter. By no means should you take my word for it... I have no real experience approaching investors, but I have attended multiple events that help you train for approaching them. Here are some key pointers to keep in mind when preparing anything for investors.

1. Presentation is key.
    Presentation is the key... But with that you have to know who your investors are. Their age, what they previously invested in, who they tend to talk to the most. All of that is important when creating a presentation. We can't give an old man a flashy animation and expect him to know what the product is... We give him solid facts and a proper plan of how you're going to generate income, etc.
    For this, like any other proposal, you're going to need multiple presentation notes. You're going to need to have your business plan on hand to show them.
    A slideshow or animation to explain your business in summary is great. In this slideshow don't forget your elevator pitch.
    You're also going to need another document explaining how it will generate revenue, how long the business is likely to last before dying (this is a weird one), a yearly revenue outcome, how much money your looking for and how it's going to be spent.
    As I said, it depends on who you're pitching to. If it's a younger audience, electronics stuff should work (like PDF), if it's an older audience paper. 
    I'm not sure what's the "perfect" amount of documents you should have.

2. They get turned on by certain words.
    While I was at a conference in Chile, a few successful business persons gave me some great advice that I held onto tightly... Governments, investors, anyone in business like to hear certain words in when it comes to your project. Income, revenue, long lasting, low failing probability, profit... These words give them orgasms. And I wish it was only a metaphor. 

3. Have persons who can vouch for you.
    It helps if you have other business friends who can vouch for you. Investors look at everything about you, from your confidence, to who your crowd is, etc.

As for who you should contact... That's a tough one. I have no idea how you'd go about doing that. I'd recommend starting with individuals first. They're easier to approach, and are more likely to give their time. With that being said, just keep going at it if they deny you. 
Those pictures you posted are really quality work so it's obvious that your team is very serious. I don't think you guys should have a hard time. Best of luck and best of wishes.

• Thanks 1

Please login or register to see this quote.

it almost gave me an orgasm too, even tho I know we're working hard, to archive such quality on models and doing so in level design too, but when you said those, fuck it felt so good. Even tho that those are like the worst pics I took since I tried to upload 3 pics for each model, and it uploaded only the "bad" side of all.

But back to the point, I'm planning on finding investors online, set up some skype calls, then if things go good even close meetings. So at first the trick would be to find the best way to present it to them, thru a video or send them a voiced power point that will explain all slides. 

Also, do you think that the investors care about Game Design Document?

Also, about your project, try to aim at impossible things, it will keep your team mates motivated for new things you will find during the road. 

• Like 1

Please login or register to see this quote.

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely try this!!!!