This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
bgs2k

Texture Gaps

Question

Hello, in my game i use a very simple 3d style, just some cubes with pixel textures. But I keep getting this problem, gaps between faces.

I go to blender, assign every face to a part of texture, using snap pixel option. I delete the unused part of texture, make it transparent. And finnaly, setup everything in unity, but my model keep geting this gaps from the texture. How can i solve it, i "Google" but what i find wasnt useful.

Here its an example: Please login or register to see this link.

Some models have bigger gaps, other model smaller ones

4 answers to this question

I've had this issue in the past as well but when dealing with procedural meshes. Instead of messing with the texture itself, I just slightly shrank the uv coords to fit better (0.001, 0.999 for example instead of 0, 1). 

Although, i could make 1px larger every texture part, a just wandering id this its a 'float' imprecision of unity, and how can i solve it

Please login or register to see this quote.

Thank you, this was very useful. Besides this, i changed the opacity of the texture, and it works perfectly

Awesome, glad to here that. But for informational purposes on why this happens, it "IS" a floating precision problem. But when dealing with uv textures, 1 uv texture pixel rarely equals 1 screen pixel because of the uv coordinate offset can stretch texture pixels. That's why when you googled it, people were saying add padding pixels... bc they forget that you can shrink texture coords smaller than 1 pixel giving it the additional padding for screen space without adjusting the texture itself.

thats why pixel perfect games are not and will never be truly pixel perfect unless its moving the camera per pixel instead of floating values