This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
OcularCash

Forge Networking is now free

As stated by Zhavier, forge Networking is now free and available on github here: Please login or register to see this link.

confirmation email directly from the developer attached 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 5

Is it worth switching over to this from PUN in terms of performance and capability? I've never heard of this networking solution until now. The amount of features it has seems to definitely out-weigh PUN from a quick comparison, although is it worth considering?

Photon is good for a quick setup, but it really lacks the security that a server-client model would have, since clients have direct connection to each other. If you plan on having a game that is competitive and requires quick timing (like Counter-Strike), you will definitely need something like Forge.

Edit: Seems like most of the Asset Store reviews say that this product is good, but has some issues with stability. I would still consider trying this out, though.

Edited by DaBossTMR
comments
  • Like 1

Please login or register to see this quote.

Same goes with you Kevin, hope everything is swell; pertaining to my question(s), you likely answered a good portion of my curiosities with your given response. I chose PUN for the exact summarization you made about the use of PUN for the project I'm referencing. The game itself isn't going to be massive in player-count capability nor world size(small/medium sized maps). I do not plan on having a competitive aspect interpreted into the game, other than having casual PvP experiences with friends/random players + co-op. I just see cloud servers as a huge capability, considering I can pay a reasonable fee to reach people all across the world at ease. I'm just trying to find assurance that PUN is the right path for my said project thus far with the given parameters. I understand the beneficial network security of using a server-client model setup, although I'm presuming there's ways to prevent cheating through some innovative medium or format while using the master-client model infrastructure? I definitely do not want manipulation such as god mode and/or aim assists occurring and running rampant. I'm not too worried about it, in fact I wouldn't mind it if there was small modifications going on if the user managed to inject/hack the game client (looking into obfuscators for future use and for some form of protection later down the road before public release). I don't know about you guys but I'd find it to be super cool to witness things like name text color manipulation on one of my own projects. That's just me tho lol anyway thank you for any input thus far I truly do appreciate it.

Yeah, regarding cheaters there isn't much you can do about it in Photon (as far as I know of). I don't think you can implement server-sided checks for such things as god mode, since the "master client" controls all of that and he could cheat himself. Provided that the master client doesn't cheat, you can definitely do some checks here and there and pretend that client is the server. However, you will then run into more problems once that client disconnects and the master client switches to another person. The most reliable approach is probably coming up with a kicking or banning system and/or a password protected server so you can manually filter out those cheaters yourself.

As for the obfuscator, I highly recommend taking a look at this one: Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 1

@SATORI  Main factor is how much data are you going to send, is it real time like cs go or something more peaceful like runescape - click to point, or even more passive like blackjack/poker

• Like 1

@YoungDeveloper definitely leaning more towards like CS, but not in the competitive aspect. I'll be sending RPCs for intractable game world objects, for the basics regarding player functionality, some AI, and for some scene events