This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
jerome

Sample Terrain For Unity Projects

This Terrain can be use to fps game. a simple project for those who doesn't have time to create their own battle ground.

every material is from unity Standard Assets.

Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this link.

Source: Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this quote.

If someone doesn't have time to make the level design, how is that person expect to be successful in game development?

And please, use some grass randomization, min/max grass height and width. It just looks awful if everything looks exactly the same right?

Just look outside. Is the grass at your town/city has a uniform size grass?

• Like 1

Although I agree the quality of this is lacking I don't think you need to be so harsh.

If you are a programmer by trade, you could go your whole life never doing any form of level design or making any artistic decisions and be a senior/lead programmer as a AAA company.

The real people who don't get far are those who think they can or try to do multiple roles. In a 50-60 year career in this industry you will only become truly great at one of the roles, you might be good at others but never great, and if you want to be the best you would have to focus on one role your entire life.

Posted (edited)

"If someone doesn't have time to make the level design, how is that person expect to be successful in game development?"

This, I for one do not have time for level design, I am a programmer and at work the artist do the design and when making person pieces for a portfolio I will in most cases use free pre-built maps as the only thing I care about showing off is my programming skills. For all I care the map could be a scaled cube but some extra detail never hurt.

I simply thought it was a bit of a false statement as me and many other programmers, Animators and other professions simply don't have time for something outside of our profession yet I have been working in the games industry making commercial products since I was 17, so without ever having time for level design, I think I am doing pretty damn well.

Edited by Calum.McManus

So again, this terrain is made for people who doesn't have time to do their own.

• I think that around 70% of indie developers are not working in a team. If they don't work in a team, but they have a project in development, they have to spend time on level design.
  • If you are working on a team, that's cool because you can do what you are good at. But again, then you have to have someone who is designing the maps right?

So basically this sentence that people who don't have time to do their own maps makes no sense.

Don't misunderstand me though Jerome, we appreciate that you share maps with the community, I'm only arguing on this sentence.