This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OcularCash

Xenko Game Engine Review

7 posts in this topic

So I'm gonna post a quick overview of my experience with Xenko Game Engine so far. For any of you who haven't seen the chat, Xenko is a new engine that completely mimicks Unity to the "T". Same editor, same tier based monthly payment nonsense and even the same community page. I've only messed around in engine for maybe 15 minutes but I think I have a full review already. So here we go:

At 8 a.m. this morning I figured I would go ahead and download it and mess around for the entire day and see how it works so I downloaded the installer. All is well, downloaded like a normal installer download. So I go to continue by clicking on the installer and hit download....... 20 minutes go by and I check the progress. It's at 73%..... After 15 more minutes it hasn't changed. So I figured it must've just went retarded so I tried again.... and again, yielding the same results but at different percentiles. Finally at 5 p.m., all day later, I close down my entire pc and try it again. SUCCESS!!! Woohoo. Only took 9 hours for a job that should've taken 20 minutes. But let's be optimistic.

Awesome, It comes with several starter projects to see how it works. So I decided to test out the fps project because let's face it, this is an fps community for the most part. After waiting 5 or so minutes waiting on the scene just to load it's 66 assets, it's finally ready. Not messing with anything, figured best thing is to test the scene in play mode...... 15 attempts at building the stupid thing and only getting a "Build Failed" message, figured that wasn't going to work for me.

So that didn't work, Let's start an empty project... even tho empty projects aren't even empty. An empty scene comes with a floor, a sphere and other things, but Oh well, something to test a build. But first, let's pop on our nifty window frame counter (Since it doesn't have it's own). Wow, apparently the editor window itself is running at 41 frames per second. I know the computer I make games with sucks but Unity editor and every other engine editor on the planet runs well over 150 on this computer (And no, it's not because it's a new engine, my engines run well over 200 frames before crashing if uncapped. New is not an excuse). So let's test how a simple ball and floor scene build runs...... And holy balls sack. 18 fps.... wow. So I took a screenshot I'll provide below. So i was going to take a screenshot of the editor window (not doing anything) runs but.... It crashes everything including the editor once i exit the build.

So final rating... 0 out of 10. They don't even deserve a 1. Graphics look nice.... but that doesn't matter when you can't even run it. Yes, if your on a beast pc you may be able to run at a steady 50 frames in game.... maybe, but noone else will. Now time to delete before it wastes even more of my time.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

1 person likes this

oh you got it? I thought it was good at first too, video tutorials on internet and they show good potential for this, but no one mention that you need a 1080 SLI with i9 :P

Ya you need some pretty high specs. I know watching tutorials they were saying that framerate was getting demolished and sitting at 50fps but I was def not expecting to be sitting at 18 with a barebones scene. My current game runs at 30 on this computer with an entire scene running and animated on the highest quality setting so I know it's not entirely this computer. I'd run it on my i7 MSI but it's not worth my time. If slower computers can't run it, it's not worth using it

Lol, I guess it's like crysis 3 on max graphics. Thank you for the review of that engine, I was gonna download it after you try it out, but I changed my mind now. Well, I guess I will wait source 2 engine.

Lol, I can feel the frustration all the way here.  

Just managed to fix it and actually opened a project in it for the first time.. An "empty" project. The graphics certainly do look decent, but I guess that's all thanks to the PBR shaders and graphics compositor, and I do quite like their UI creation tool, the ability to layer materials, friendly scene streaming and sprite editor some of those are things Unity3D could really use. As for the FPS, it was stable 60fps ingame on my GTX 660M with only a car in the world.

Their scripting API was quite shit though, their documentation is even worse, along with the editor UI(SO MUCH CLUTTER!) and holy fuck the Parent/childing was a nightmare(Or maybe I'm not used to it in Xenko).. Then I saw those physics colliders that kept lagging behind the mesh.. 

I'd say it has potential since it's a new engine and all, given time hopefully it'll be in the top10 game engines alongside Unity3D.

Thanks for letting us know about the other stuff. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get that far due to its Cookie Monster like memory usage

Never heard of it, will try it, thanks for the info