This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

giltine528

In depth guide of making music/sound effects for your game for free(Simplified)

Note: This is all based on my current experience as of writing this, if you have anything to add that will help this post improve, feel free to share.

My previous guides:

1.In depth guide of understanding the usage of colors- Please login or register to see this link.

First of all I would like to remind you that all of these software and methods are free, you don't need to pay anything to use them. And overall this topic only covers non-paid methods on making yourself some sfx and music for your project.

To start things with.

1.Audacity:

-Probably the majority people know this peace of software. It's free and is being used for recording, editing and exporting audio. In here you can tweak your audio to suit your needs (make it "loopable", have normalized levels etc.) You use it at the end of your process after using all of the other softwares that will be listed below.

Get audacity: Please login or register to see this link.

2.Otama: 

-Its a browser only program (it requires a flash to use), that is probably good being used only if you're in a rush mode to make some quick background music for your project. You just put nodes, change their direction and then you get different melodies.

Get Otomata: Please login or register to see this link.

3.Jukedeck:

-It another brower only thingy, but comparing to Otama, this one is a masterpiece, you select what kind of music you need, tweak what style you want, how many beats per minute you desire. And then computer automatically generates it. Its pretty neat. If you want to use your generated music for free, you can just give them credits, however only for 1$, you can buy the license of it and use it however you want.

Use jukedeck: Please login or register to see this link.

4.Boscaceoili:

-This one requires a download in order to use it. Its a free software in which you can make your own music, thought It is recommended to watch some tutorials in order to be able to use it. One negative aspect might be is that it ha a messy interface.

Get Boscaceoili: Please login or register to see this link.

5.Now into the sfx stuff, bfxr-retro:

-In this software you can generate retro style sound effects for your game, tweak them to your needs, and use them. Simple.

Get bfxr-retro: Please login or register to see this link.

6.Lmms:

It's a piece of software, suggested by @SATORI which is also completely free. It takes some time to get a hang of it, but once you do, even if it lacks couple of features, it gets the job done!

Get lmms: Please login or register to see this link.

TL;DR

Out of all these softwares, audacity is a must, Jukedeck is the easiest with the best results and bfxr is the way to go with retro games.

Edited by giltine528
  • Like 1

Thank you for letting everyone know of these alternatives. I myself currently use Audacity (definite must) and have tried bfxr out. Recommended for 8-bit game art. I also gave Boscaceoili a try a while back, but I ended up going with LMMS. Maybe it'd make a great addition to this guide/list. Although it does require a bit of skill set to use efficiently, it is just as effective as FL Studio imho (does lack features though but gets the job done).

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 1