This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
geckoo

Abaddon

Please login or register to see this link.

Abaddon is the hebrew name for the angel of the abyss in the Bible (apocalypse 9:11). Today this is just my entry for the 38th LudumDare session. I did a paced FPS - a survival game in which you must fight against a horde of mischievous creatures in a little arena (50x50). The columns delimitate your small world (the theme). When you see them, it means that you are not far to the void. Be careful! Each creature has its own behavior : a skull follows you in a wave movement and explodes near of you. A ram twirls around you, trying to hit you. A spider is looking for fresh meat and it spits on you its poison. The monster comes from the ground and knocks you really hard...
Excepted the last specie, you cannot see how and where are spawned the enemies. I did many scripts to create an oppressive and darkly environement from which the creatures appear. You are always surounded by them. Kill them and try to do the best score which will be saved automatically in a leaderboard - the hall of fame. Using the LMB, you shoot fireballs, also using RMB, you shoot like with a shotgun, but its firerate is low. When you kill a monster or a spider, some blue dust appears. Passing through it, you gain health...
I guess that if you can (more or less) define how the spawn script works, you can elaborate an efficient strategy.

Please play this game and tell me your point of view. I hope that you enjoy.

Thank you. I wish you the best. Bye ++

• Like 5

Wow, very cool.

Initially I wasn't expecting much but you did a great job , very well done. 

How did you get the retro art style? It works well , is it a shader + image effects? 

The game feels very smooth and fast paced and yeah , very nice.

Great job. 

Please login or register to see this quote.

Thank you for your kind words.

To display this aesthetic I use a shader which posterizes colors with a few shades. Also it pixelates 4x4 the screen using a pattern according contrast.

When the player is wounded, it applies a gray effect and inverts colors ...

Please share this project with your friends ++

• Like 1

Abaddon - my entry for the 38th LudumDare session - has been patched. Some minor bugs have been fixed. Bunny jump is no longer allowed. I noticed yesterday that the leaderboard is now full and so only the best scores will be displayed. Please take a look at it, then leave a comment on ItchIO. Also share it with friends. I assume that it is my last post so as to promote my entry. Now I wait the results. Have a nice day - my fellows. Bye ++

Please login or register to see this link.

Looks great man! Always love to see the your entries. Shall we call you the new armedunity "Shader god"? ;)

• Like 1

I added a new feature to this project - a rear camera. I named this option The All-Seeing Eye. It allows to see what happens around you and in this small arena it is really useful. I am continuing to develop this game to do a full FPS with a story, but the player can always play the mode On-Line in order to rival with other players. To create levels I use ProBuilder + ProGrid. These tools are great - but really expensive. I use a few textures because the shaders which I created display many shades on surfaces. I will show you some progresses soon. You can download Abaddon for free on my itch.io page. Thank you those who supported me, buying it a few bucks. I really appreciated ++

• Like 2

Its just an idea, but besides just killing the monsters you can also do objectives to spice up the gameplay. Like an arrow shows up where to go and for example you need to capture a point, or defend one, or like destroy an artifact of some sort. That would be pretty neat.