This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Partyanimal02

Needing A Team To Make A FPS With Unreal Engine

Hi, I'm looking for a team to help make a fps.

I my self tried programming a while ago, but failed. So I have NO experience making games, but I do have a solid concept and many other ideas.

The roles I need are...

Artist

Weapons Programmer

A.I Programmer

Character model Programmer

Environment Programmer

Lighting Expert

Coding Programmer

I'm not trying to make the next call of duty, but I do want to make a solid game and basically start something in life. 

If you want more details, pm me.

Thanks

Please login or register to see this quote.

Take my advice and start off smaller, no one will want to work with an "ideas-guy", honestly. Not trying to insult but just trying to help you.

• Like 3

You should tell us something abot your ideas. You said that you have no experience in game development, so why should someone contact you without knowing anything about the game? 

Not really. Try something alone perhaps?

• Like 1

Trust me, this won't work. You will either get bored, quit because you have other matters and more pressing problems, or just because you cannot manage your team. You can tell your lighting expert you want graphics like X, but without having a solid understanding of each process that requires a team member you shouldn't be managing one. This is not a possibility that may go the other way for someone else, but this is how it has been from the beginning, and, sadly, some of us learned this the hard way. Not to talk about keeping your team productive, not once I worked with people that were just lazy, and I rather quit the project.  Forgot to mention you won't continue because you don't have the required experience.

Edited by V3ndetta
  • Like 1

Pick a role, make a portofolio, look for teams and offer you work for free(in the beginning), and with time experience will come. Once you know enough you can start looking for your own team, but not before doing some of your role's work as proof of being serious about the project. This will take several years, realistically.

You always have time for dreams, or for things you need to do because that is what life consists of for some, experiences, and knowledge.  I once saw a pc, it was my first ever time. We were at a school, and we got to play for 1 entire hour on the pc's some IT manager guys used. I tapped keys randomly and managed to get into a game. I kept wishing to play or just to touch that pc again for almost 2 years in the same school, but it never happened.I then asked a laptop for my birthday, a real one, but my parents bought me a cheap interactive toddler learning one. So I played on it, finished everything it had, every application. Finally, I saw the possibility of getting a real one from my brother. So I asked, and asked again. One day I finally got it. Took no more than 3 months of me learning the basics, writing text documents for fun back then, and the dog spilled water on it. I remember installing the first ever game on it, it took me alot of thinking since I couldn't decide if its harmful or not, I was so newbie at this. It worked wonders, I played it every day for months, until the dog killed it. So I kept asking my dad about getting me a desktop, for another 3 or so months. Finally did. My god, got it home, was a prevoiously used second hand one, a dirt cheap one without a gpu. I had a 15kb/sec connection(wifi) with it. No GPU, no internet, what could I do? My only option became learning to code, reading, since these things took little time to load, while in a tab I had pewdiepie video's loading for me to watch 1 hr later. Randomly, one day, after almost giving up hopes of game developing, I saw a logo, it was the old Unity logo. So with my moderate english knowledge, I started searching, and trying to make sense of it all. In a later end, my internet would speed up to 500kb/s and I managed to get my hand on Unity editor, by then I had a gforce 210 graphics card. 2,5 years or messing around with the editor every day, and I just couldn't understand a word. Coding didn't make sense. I tried, wrote down every word and script, but could not understand. But I kept going. One day, after almost 4 years, I started picking up the understanding of coding in unity. So I coded, small things, glitchy horrible games that I even posted, but then removed due to losing my account. Today I have a budget gaming pc, I speak 3 languages to near perfection, I know to code in over 7 languages, and I am a great learner, be it at school or other things. I also know to work with electronics, all self-taught. So don't give up, even as I don't know why I took the time to write this story, hope you find it inspiring at least. Nothing is impossible, it only takes time and perseverence, sometimes to super human level. :)

• Like 1

You won't even finish a game of your scope within less than such a timeframe due to the fact you have no experience, time, or any functioning version of your game.

If you can't take the time, game development isn't for you. Simple as that.

You do have the time, you're simply not willing to use it on this. It's a hobby for yourself, and most likely almost everyone else on this forum. So it's simply a lack of motivation and willingness, in which case, you should not be trying to develop a large project.

I don't have the time, but I do have the willingness and even though it's a fps, it's a reasonably small project. I don't have any experience, but the only way to get some is by doing something, it's part of the learning process.

I'll tell you what, I'll go and do my research, find all the roles needed and work on my concept, then after I have a good and thorough understanding of things, I'll try this again. Sound like a good idea?

Only you can answer your question , good luck.

Edited by V3ndetta

Why are you attempting something you've stated you don't have time for? If you're only going to be working for a tiny bit of your free time, then stop trying to pull together a team to waste their time when their project lead does nothing but sit around and 'give ideas' and watches his dreams come true without actually doing anything nor paying anything.

• Like 3

I switched to UE4 a year and a bit ago and its great and I saw this post (even though I have my own steam game project atm and unable to join projects cause of it) and was hoping that this would be a different post to the generic 

"HELP ME I HAVE GREAT GAME IDEA AND YOU WORK FOR FREE AND I GET MONYESSSSSED"

I was wrong to even believe this would be any different, my only advice is to learn how to use UE4 or Unity before even coming here, if your not willing to learn these things why bother come here? + this is more of a unity forums atm from my understanding so I don't understand the UE4 talk if you have no experience leave and get some. I'm honestly sick of reading posts from people who have an IDEA and think that makes them a game designer.

DO yourself a favor and learn how to do some sort of skill in this industry and I'm sure someone would be more willing to listen to what you have to say.

Kind Regards,
Sam

• Like 1

No one here built his skill by collecting others and making them do his work.

• Like 4

Profit sharing means crap if you have nothing to show off, do yourself a favor and go learn something before making posts asking for help, no one will want to follow someone who doesn't even know what they are talking about.

• Like 1

Character model programmer kappa

• Like 1

May I ask what you don't have time for? I have a full time job, 4 children, a wife, I manage dozens of apps and assets, help with forum and yet I still have time to make my games.... entirely by self I might add. I model, program, texture, animate and even record my own audio in the studio. But what I'm seeing is "I don't have time to work a single task of my game full time"? That seems very out of place.

im not going to be rude and nothing can be said that hasn't already been said. Just don't blame time for not working on your own game. There is always time, even if you have to make time

Yes. However that doesn't qualify you as a team leader. In my opinion the least you need to know if you want to handle a team is how to use the engine, how to program stuff and how to put it all together (Note: I said AND, no one wants a "I put it together guy" either).

It is not that easy to lead a team either it requires a lot of attention and time, something you are missing as you stated. Again I don't want to insult you or anything, just want to point out that this is not going to work.

Look at OneManArmy, to this date he still works alone and for that his stuff is really good, not talking about the code (Thats damn freaking good if you ask me, I learned most I know from him back in the day) but he also does animations and that himself. Obviously it (the animations for example) cannot be as good as someone who is specialized in animating, but they get the job done.