This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
V3ndetta

Find in which range number is between 4 possibilities

Question

Working on a Behavior system for my AI, the script assigns a random percentage(float) to each behavior, up to a total of 100. I want to combine 2 random behaviors which an individual can have, and make him act based on that. I know how to compare 2 numbers, but how would I go about comparing 2 different behavior values to see which each of them are assigned as from the 4 possibilities, so I could set their

Please login or register to see this code.

s to true?  I tried comparing the first behavior number between any of the possibilities, but the problem is there are of course going to be more than 2 in the range.

This is my code so far :

Please login or register to see this code.

What is a good way of doing this? Thanks in advance, I found some answers but none of them are quite related to my issue. 

7 answers to this question

In that case, you could make list of your points, then use list.Sort(), shuffle the array of traits and assign the values. JS example:

class Trait

{

var Name : String;

var percent : int;

}

var traits : Trait[];

function Start()

{

var percentList : ArrayList = new ArrayList();

var percentLeft : int = 100;

var i : int;

for(i = 0; i < traits.Length; i++)

{

if(i < traits.Length - 1)

{

var val = Random.Range(0, percentLeft);

percentList.Add(val);

percentLeft -= val;

continue;

}

percentList.Add(percentLeft);

}

percentList.Sort();

percentList.Reverse();

Shuffle(traits);

for(i = 0; i < traits.Length; i++)

{

traits.percent = percentList;

}

}

function Shuffle(t : Trait[])

{

//look at simple blackjack in the scripts section for an example of this function

}

So your assigning values and you want to assign the top 2 values -corresponding Boolean-? Is that what your wanting? I'm a bit confused on the question

Question tho. Why not make an array of all traits, Then just simply shuffle the list. First two in the array/list is your chosen trait

There is a possibility of x% for each of the traits to be chosen. I want to chose 2 traits out of the 4 based on the possibility. I will try the array shuffle as soon as I am home.

Now I see there are a lot of possibilities, and I have decided that since there are a lot of npc's in the scene at once, I will use a shuffle array method, so I don't need to write 120 lines of code for calculations of something that can be done easier. However, I will use the script you wrote in making more complex mechanics in the game that will control things like economy, etc... . Thanks for the help!