This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Calum.McManus

Sticking to one game idea?

So I completed my first year at uni back in early may, since then I have been working back at my old job as a Unity3D Developer. So for the past almost 2 years I have only been doing either graded work with C++ or using Unity to make programs for someone else and I really need to get my motivation back to work on my own games and get back into the Indie scene.

My issue is that when ever I try to think of a game idea I end up with 10 different ideas, pick one, then after 2 weeks decide one of the other ideas was better, try that one, then give up because of limitations in my skills (I am a programmer so when I start needing Art and Animation) I loose motivation as I can't make it look nice or sound nice etc.

As I am use to working professionally I never have to worry at work, we have a team of artist/animators that make what ever art assets we need. Due to this my standards have become really high, all the project I've worked on have been created by a team of seasoned artists and there is no way I can replicate that.

I was wondering if anyone else find this to be a issue and how they get around it? I have so many ideas but just can't get motivated to see it all the way through!

• Like 1

I have the same problem , have about a dozen half finished projects just chilling on my hdd , my problem isnt the art though , its just overall sticking to one idea, I always expand too much and then end up losing motivation, dont have a solution unfortunately. 

Lone wolves are a dying breed in game development.

You cannot do it alone. It's virtually impossible. That is why you stick together. That is why you create a team. 

My point is that when you work as a team, you learn from others and also the programming, art and music can be split up making the development easier.

Another important aspect is motivation. You normally tend to lose motivation on a project working on it alone. You don't touch your game in a week or two and it's dead. Funnily enough working for others give you motivation. This is because you are under a mixture of tasks and a little bit of pressure. A good leader know a lot about this.

There really isn't a way to create a game by yourself without a hassle of inputting skills that aren't in your skill set. Although these days you can pretty much create anything with the right use of a software. Most of the time people give up Blender or don't even know where to create music, but these simple skills should be part of an indie developer.

Maybe try out those massive game jams. Try out the itch.io jams, or even Ludem Dare. These jams push the limits of your skills in a mixture of pressure and imaginination that practice your mind to think like a game developer (great name for a book "How to think like a game developer").

Please login or register to see this quote.

I agree. I was once in a team. Now, I only did a little bit on work, (and possibly they even redid my work to suit their needs) but I did learn a bunch and it seemed like the dev was easier.

I was thinking i only had this problem but seems like everyone who is lone wolfing have this struggle.What i have found out is that if you work on complicated project alone you will eventually waste your time.

Still working on same project for last year and half, haven't progressed at all in terms of gameplay. 

Working alone and having a job is killing my project.