This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
morten2808

Where to buy server to run Bolt Master Server(Zeus)

Question

Hello everybody my friend and i are making a game and want to test some stuff and so on but we need a place to buy a server for hosting of Zeus(Bolt Master Server) so if you have any place and idea if we need to buy a VPS or Root server for the bolt server hosting please comment it as we really need help with it thanks :)

What the master server needs:

• A Server somewhere, running either Linux or Windows.
  • For optimal operation you need 4 unique WAN IP addresses for this server.
  • You need to be able to bind a socket on the server to each of the 4 WAN IP addresses you are going to be using, this means the server can't be behind a NAT. Also, as far as we know, this rules out Microsoft Azure VMs, as you cannot bind to the public IP on the VM.

Thanks for reading :)

6 answers to this question

You really need to define exactly what you require the server to do as there are thousands of choices.....you can buy a real budget server for around $500-$600 or you can spend around $1200 and get something decent (or 4-6k).  You can hire servers from around $5 a month, however this gives you virtually nothing.....and the price skyrockets from there, realistically expect to be paying $50-$100 minimum a month.  Just make you research your options carefully as there can be a lot o hidden costs in hiring/leasing servers.  IMO buy your own and set it up that way the only cost you have is with your internet provider.

Many indie teams have been caught out paying for a server provider advertising at $29.99 a month only to find at the end of the month they get a bill for $1200+ (example: some companies charge for KBs after the first 2 MB).

Edited by SmokeyKilla

Why not host on a pc laying around, and when that gets full, look into options :P

I've hosted sites on my own pc and I eventually moved to a dedicated server provider :d

Please login or register to see this quote.

Thanks i know but just need to know if it is a root or vps server i need as it should have 4 unique WAN IP addresses for this server.

You will need a server with multiple WAN ports or you can use a router.  I do not understand what you mean by root or VPS server.  Do you mean you need a VPS server with root access?    There are three main choices shared hosting, VPS or dedicated.  I suggest you read this topic Please login or register to see this link. .  No-one can really answer your question without knowing what you exactly require the server to do.

If you have not bad internet, what i did for testing is bought a $60 rapsberry pi 2 and plugged it into my modem. Then i installed the master server and just have it run 24/7 as a raspberry pi is the size of a credit card and you can buy $5 heatsinks also if you have it on normal clock speed and normal air flow it should be fine for a lonnngggg time! xP