This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
ElCorazon

MOBA League of Legends Creep behavior

Hello,

I am trying to expand knowledge about League of Legends minion patterns.

The main info source is here at the moment : Please login or register to see this link.

But this page content is very superficial : I would like to understand much more in-depth how minion aggro works.

Trying to be more explicit, I am aiming at call for help / aggro scan / attack flag specifics.

Maybe drawing parallels, with other major MOBAs, where source code is known, like DOTA?

Possibly getting experience, from someone having developped minions laning before?

I wish you could help me out,

Thank you for your answers!

A LoL amateur.

Hello and welcome :)

watch this video: Please login or register to see this link.

tells you alot about the mechanics of the minions.

Hello,

thank you for the link, but this good video is quite superficial aswell, I am looking for more accurate numbers/patterns!

Hello again,

To be even more explicit : I want to know why LoL minion waves are non deterministic : if you let minions alone, you can't predict which side will win, on a given lane, for the first waves spawned.

Here are some points where I could be helped :

- communication between LoL server and client in general, data flow map

- minion metadatas sniffed from LoL packets (maybe would last-hit botting help me understand this matter?)

- multithreading structure on Riot's servers

- minion pathfinding nature and cycle lenght

- minion collision system and steering behavior architecture

Bump

Actually I can tell which side would win and I have tested it, it all happens in the first few seconds of the first way meeting, the path finding system for them very slightly vary the speed of the ranged minions, this means that if one group has fast ranged minions the other side will get hit first and get pushed to the tower a bit faster. but, this makes them the losing side when you leave them to it as once at the tower the other side usually get around 2 waves of minions built up over the next few waves and therefore get the first major tower hit in.

This then keeps swapping around as each group moves under the towers but once the first tower in the lane goes down that lane will be won by the team that still has the tower standing.

The main part to this is the mid lane, as this is the shortest lane the first side to get an inhibitor down in the mid lane is almost a guaranteed win as they will always be pushing that lane into the base. the only time the mid lane won't decide it is actually when the path finding messes up, you have probably seen when minions kinda get suck on each other and it starts to walk the long way around, this can change everything, but it is actually a bug that shouldn't happen.

Bump

Is steering likely to have been implemented here? 

Heard that kind of engines used HAA* and stop-and-go collision systems