This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Masaaki

Multiplayer FPS Sample Project Alpha Testing

Question

Hello all,

My multiplayer FPS sample project is just about complete. I am now looking for a select few people to test it out and give me feedback.

This project has a few requirements:

- This is designed for those who have a solid grasp of C#, and involves intermediate to advanced coding skills.

- This is NOT a kit! It is a sample project which is designed to be used as a solid foundation for your games (basically, you WILL need to modify it for your game)

- This project is built on version 0.4.17 of the Bolt networking engine. You'll need to have purchased Bolt first, and will need to request GitHub access from the creator in order to download this or later versions. You should also have a solid grasp of how Bolt works prior to using this sample project.

There's also a known issue with the aforementioned Bolt version, 0.4.17. Every so often, when the player object is deleted, the server will throw a KeyNotFoundException from an internal Bolt class, which will cause all clients to be disconnected. Fholm has confirmed this, and says the fix will be included in version 0.4.19.

Also, in its current state, the project does not support listen servers (only dedicated servers). I'm actively working on this, shouldn't take too long to add.

Anyway, please PM me if you'd like to give the project a test. I'll be giving it out to five people.

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

To everyone who is applying for the test, keep in mind that Bolt IS REQUIRED.

Anyway, I would love to test, but I haven't purchased Bolt.

Well, just as I thought, adding listen server support did not take long at all :)

So the difference goes something like this:

If you want to start a dedicated server,

Please login or register to see this code.

If you want to start a listen server,

Please login or register to see this code.

Please login or register to see this quote.

Uh, no one asked you to test. Plus they're not paying for this particular game, they usually buy Bolt for networking purposes and personal projects.

Bolt is honestly the way to go if you're serious about making a first person shooter in Unity.

Maybe in a few months/years but for now im pretty happy with photon servers stability but personal choice and usage will always differ a persons product of choixe i guess :P

Photon Server isn't a great choice for FPS unless you're willing to roll your own physics engine from scratch. Photon Cloud is an even worse choice - not only do you deal with rampant player cheating, but then you also have to deal with constant lag.

I have Bolt and access to the GH, though I haven't played around with it too much, nor am I that good with C#, but I'll gladly help :d.

Hm, the project is designed to be pretty C# heavy (it's made for a programmer to easily pick it up and modify/extend it). It also relies on a lot of Bolt concepts (hitboxes, rewinding, input prediction, etc)

I have been heavily following the project for a while. I don't mind studying it more, and I tend to play around with things until I understand. C# isn't that hard to learn / convert from JS.

Bolt certainly looks interesting, but I'm in no rush to switch networking platforms and UNET looks pretty promising so I'll see how that turns out before purchasing

• Like 1

On the forums he stated that he may also implement RakNet, but it may only be for Pro users.

I've been having issues with actually distributing the project and maintaining script references without actually distributing Bolt. I've discussed this with the creator, who mentioned that at some point he may be able to create a "dummy" library for Bolt which has all of the classes for BoltEntity, BoltHitbox, etc but none of the implementation, that way users can drop in Bolt without breaking script references.

We'll see how it goes.

You could always just do it without all the bolt DLL files and just provide instructions to setup the states and entitys. That way the user could set it up then compile and it'd work great :P

Or you could just do screen caps of the states/entities