This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrus99

3D Design & modeling

5 posts in this topic

Hey
Since i have been developing my game for a while and sometimes in need of resources, i thought i could give some lecture or course a try on 3d modeling & design topic.
I know that there's a lot of 3d artists on this community, so i would like to ask your feedback, how did you get started and what kind of methods of learning did you use.
For example, did you self teach yourself, then how? by watching youtubes videos, trying mess around in the 3d application or any other ways. Would it be better to focus on a single application and look up courses on that or find a general 3d course, which gives the basic understanding, if it's possible between different applications to teach like that.

Anyway, interested to hear your opinions and experience.

To start, there really isn't any difference between applications 3d wise. For instance, there is nothing you can't make in 3ds max that you can't make in blender and there is nothing in blender that you can't make maya and same with cheetah. What it all boils down to is which one is easier for you to move around and use the application and which applications have a plugin you want to take advantage of. But for the most part, it's just your basic c# vs js kinda thing when choosing a programming language. Both are good, it's just about what fits you better. So if you can move around a specific modeling software, any general 3d course or tutorial you will be able to learn from, it'll just use different hotkeys and menus.

I learned around 2 decades ago, and back then, there wasn't many tutorials like there is today, so I learned by just getting familiar with the software (3d studio max which is now called 3ds max) and messing around to see what does what. But since it's not the 90's anymore, i would say it will be good to watch some tutorial series, even if it's to just get familiar with the software. Even after all this time, I watch tutorials a few times a month to learn new approaches and features and even see there is easier ways to do certain things.

3 people like this

Have to agree 100% with OcularCash.  The best way to learn is firstly jump into a program and play around with everything and familiarize yourself with the software.  Read the manual completely.  Then watch some tutorials.  However be warned some of the tutorials are absolute crap.  Some really good free programs are Gimp, Blender, Sculptris , UV Mapper , Insane Bump and Wings 3d.

When using Unity, Probuilder advanced is an excellent product speeds up your workflow incredibly.  Substance painter is also a top notch product.  

If you want a program where you can create the model, retopo, create your smart/pbr textures, create all your maps for unity and render your model, you really can't go past 3D Coat.  Its a lot cheaper than ZBrush.  I just purchased it at Xmas and it really is a one stop modelling program.

Like OcularCash said there is no right way or wrong way.  It comes down to personal choice.  You can make just as good a model using free programs as using thousand dollar programs, and everybody has their own unique workflow.

Edited by SmokeyKilla
mistake
1 person likes this

Thank you for your point of view, i think i'm going with blender, since it's free and i dont want to buy 3ds max, c4d or any other, since they are expensive and i dont want a cracked version either because i'm creating a commercial game. I do have probuilder advanced and am kind of good with it at making buildings, but i'm more interested in making props for my game, player items, maybe even clothes but i dont really want to make crappy looking objects, more realistic and decent poly count. As far as i have used probuilder, i mostly used it for level design and buildings, maybe you can even make axes or other props, but i'm not really sure.
One thing i always think about, is that modelers always take a reference image they model or not, somebody on some asset forum mentioned that he used to use reference images to model certain type of 3d models.

I always use reference images, whether I handdrew them or downloaded. I personally don't use them inside a 3D application tho, just look at and free model it adding things it may need. For character modeling, a lot of people import/create images and use them inside of blender bc it's easier to maintain proportions that way, I just personally don't bc I like to add new stuff as I go