This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

armedunity.com uses cookies to improve user experience.

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer.

Ruchir

Please help

Game genre   10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Type of game should I make?

• First person shooter
    • Third person shooter
    • Horror Game(First/Third Person?)
    • Other(Write in the comments)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

Can anyone help me, I am not really able to decide which type of game to make....

19 answers to this question

I think Third Person games are always more interesting, you can get better graphics as well since you don't look at things from too close, but of course the downside is that its much more complicated.

Are you sure?

I thought people liked 3rd person shooter compared to FPS

Please login or register to see this quote.

I meant the oposite

Puzzle game?

Any examples

Why no one vote for First person shooter?

Because FPS's are over-made. Especially in the indie scene

In horror game games , which one:

• FPS
  • TPS

?............

My first project was third person and current active project is third person mmorg project and i can tell you, i wish i would have taken first person project, it is way better to take a really small project at first. It helps the progression in learning like a lot.

With third person games you think you don't have to put much detail on texture,level details, wrong! you are actually putting more detail, props etc to make the game world look more natural and not so empty, you have to create variation of 3rd person movement motions, rifle aiming systems (if you're making a combat game), rifle moving motions or maybe even as deep as inverse kinematics. So in conclusion, take a simple FPS single-player, either horror, action or whatever you like.

Why wouldn't you do that in an FPS game as well?

Posted (edited)

You would, but in FPS games, you usually only detail the parts the player in his field of view can see, with third person there are more complicated detail levels, such as camera collisions, view distance based level design. In a simple fps game level you could basically just make walls with cubes, add textures and voila done, if you want to keep the simplicity and a quick learning project. For example, making a open world TPS game, needs environmental design, general level design, a lot of props to make the visuals look good and world just not blank terrain texture. While in fps project you could just make a interior scene, maybe a hospital horror game. Not saying that there are FPS games that  require less detail than TPS projects.

In TPS project, you also have to make all the movement animated, which requires resources, which ofcourse you can get from mixamo or from the web somewhere, but configuring and making it all fit together is a complicated proccess. Meanwhile a single-player fps developer creates a rawinput based sphere movement and doesn't have to think of camera collision, movement animations. 

Edited by Andrus99

Posted (edited)

Most of the things you said here has no connection to visuals. A TPS game's player also has the field of view, which you can control easily.

Edited by UnityGamesRoland

In my opinion you should choose based on what you can make as a developer, doesn't matter if a genre is over done as long as your execution is good, a game is only so good as it execution. You can the worst idea in the world or an overdone genre but if you execute it right it can be a hit.

If this is your first game you could attempt something simple like a puzzle game but if not and you decide you want to take it to the next level then TPS or FPS or even both integrated into the same controller is there to be exploited. 

What matters most i would say is the idea behind the game your making, remember a game is more that just a game, its an experience. Whether is burning house you have to escape or rabid monkeys living on the moon or even zombies with personalities working in an organization trying to extinguish the human race, your call.

As long as you keep these principles in mind you will be able to come up with something within your scope.

P.S. - I works for me so im passing on my experience. 

Yeah, some are some not, im speaking in general difficulty of the project. It's better to take a smaller bite

Actually if I wanted I could make better game than AU Modern FPS but my only problem is lack of animation and modelling skills and a bit less creative ideas

I get bored from a project too easily , I have even created a better FPS Kit than Premium FPS kit but still I wasn't satisfied with it's mechanics so I dropped it.........

Pretty much that's why I create everything myself.

can you and I become partners?